Monday, 30 November 2009

Tiger speaks - says very little...

So Tiger has come out and made a statement in which he's pretty much said nothing to clarify what actually went on other than to smack down rumours circulating about the actions of his wife Elin. He wants to make sure the blame is placed squarely on his shoulders and put paid to the accusations currently broiling about his wife. He hasn't really succeeded Here is the statement in full, straight from the Tigers mouth, so to speak.


"As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore. This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.

This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible. The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.

This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be. "


It's done little to stop the rumour mill from a churning and I don't think at this stage that he can expect to get away without at least giving a partial explanation for how he managed to crash his Escalade within the confines of his own home. Until he does, then the questions surrounding the actions of his wife on the night will continue. The limited details that are in the public domain mean it can't really be any other way.

Why was it necessary to smash the window to get him out ? Was the car locked and she couldn't get in any other way? I've only just seen these pictures of the car and up until this point I'd thought it was the back window of the car which was smashed, which seems an odd point of entry to help a guy in the drivers seat. But it seems to be the rear door window on the left hand side, which I guess makes more sense if you can't get the door open. (Though if reports are true that there were actually three windows smashed that kind of blows that out the water...) If that's the case and she is a "hero", then why can't he say that - it would go some way to stop the absolute pasting she's getting in the press just now. It's fair enough I think to tell us to get stuffed if we're snooping into his private life but if his own actions have got him into a situation like this I think he owes it to those around them to set the record straight if it needs to be. If Elin did nothing that she shouldn't be proud of then how is this helping her? The silence is doing neither him nor his wife any favours.

What does get my goat more than the media blackout is the continuing refusal to cooperate with the police investigation. It is debatable as to whether he has an obligation to reveal anything to the public but surely he has to make himself accountable to the police and answer their questions in a timely fashion just like anyone else. You or I would not be able to put off speaking to the police in the manner Woods has and I was surprised that he was able to postpone the interview for another day - he should have now spoken to the police, so perhaps some more details will be forthcoming. I doubt he'll be able to avoid saying more at the planned press conference tomorrow at the Chevron World Challenge in Thousand Oaks, hosted by Woods, anyhow.

The appearance of a coverup only leads to these spirals of rumours, and no matter the reason, theres enough affection out there for Tiger to forgive whatever it was but evading the police and avoiding questions will only serve to use up that goodwill. Appearing like a man who has something to hide is doing him no favours. Hopefully someone will tell him that. Thats what makes us human isn't it, making mistakes - and a man willing to admit what they were gets a lot more respect.

No comments: